After laying around on her porch alternatively reading and napping during the hottest part of the day, Molly and I made plans to eat some delicious local fare. We got off to a very good start.
(1) Oysters at The Blind Pelican. Of course when I think of New Orleans one of the first things that comes to mind is seafood. Oysters are a popular dish here, harvested nearby from the Gulf of Mexico.
|The Blind Pelican, 1628 St Charles|
|Charbroiled oysters from The Blind Pelican|
I didn't love the oysters to be honest. They were good but nothing spectacular. However, at 25 cents apiece (for the raw), I wouldn't complain. The restaurant had a great patio, along St Charles street, which I hear is often very crowded. Overall it was a nice spot, with a good happy hour deal, and decent food.
(2) Tacos from Taceaux Loceaux.
I am a big fan of the modern food truck movement, and have been excited to partake now that I'm back in the States. Some of the reasons I like to eat from food trucks:
- I like to eat smaller meals often, and food truck vendors offer the right portion size.
- Cooks in food trucks tend to specialize. I prefer smaller menus with fewer options.
- I assume that the food truck vendors are able to take more risks and have more flexibility than fixed-location restaurants. The food typically seems hip and modern in a way that I appreciate.
|Molly with the Taceaux Loceaux menu|
I tried the following items from the menu.
- Messin with Texas. Delicious, but very greasy. I'm usually not a big fan of flour tortillas (instead of corn), but they complemented the brisket well.
- Seoul man. I liked the pickled vegetables that came on the tacos, but otherwise they were a little bland. The tacos were good but didn't seem as special as the other two.
- Jane Deaux. These vegetarian tacos were delicious. The flavor was unique. I was happy to see two vegetarian options out of seven.
|Messin with texas|
Taceaux Loceaux makes delicious tacos, which I would eat again in an instant. The only complaint I could make is that the tacos come as identical pairs. I would prefer to order the tacos individually so I could order two different tacos in my pair or just one taco if I wasn't too hungry.